How Has Technological Advancements in Direct Marketing Affected the Business to Customer Relationship? (2013)
Purpose – The main objective of this project is to understand the impact of technology on direct marketing and customer relationships, as observed by marketing managers in different industries. Methodology – This research paper will gather information through the use of a survey to marketing managers and interviews with a small number of marketing managers that have implemented new technology into their departments over the past two years. A total of 52 marketing managers were surveyed to gain their opinions and insights, and three marketing managers that had implemented technologies in the past two years were interviewed in greater depth. Findings – The survey and management interviews revealed that the biggest technological impacts on direct marketing have been mobile marketing and social media. For the customer relationship, email has had the greatest impact. Of concern, marketing managers did not generally seem to have a good understanding of the financial benefits of introducing new technologies to marketing. It is recommended that marketers introduce more robust cost benefit analysis procedures into their processes for deciding on new technologies for marketing departments. Research limitation – The research was limited by time and resources, which meant that the sample size for the survey was more limited than had initially been hoped. Additionally, it was identified that a useful area for further study might be to review the direct impact of specific technologies one by one on different areas of marketing. This was out of scope for this research, but could provide some interesting findings. The dissertation aim will be to determine how the marketing landscape has changed as a result of these developments and also identify further changes that may develop. The specific objectives are to:
- Determine what have been the most significant technological advances that have impacted direct marketing in a variety of different organisations and industries.
- What have been the most significant technological advances that have impacted customer relationships in a variety of different organisations and industries?
- In what ways have direct marketing been impacted in these organisations and industries?
- How have customer relationships been impacted in these organisations and industries?
- What do marketers think are likely to be the most significant technological changes affecting both direct marketing and customer relationships in the future?
- 10,000 words – 54 pages in length
- Good use of literature
- Good analysis of subject area
- Well written throughout
- Ideal for marketing students
Project aims and objectives
2: Literature Review
Technology changes to marketing
The link between direct marketing, customer relationships and technology
The impact of technology on direct mail
Technology and databases
Interaction between marketing and customers
Impact of technology on privacy and the effect of this on marketing
3: Research Methodology
Primary or Secondary Data Collection
Specific Research Methods Selected
4: Analysis of Findings
6: Conclusion and Recommendations